HeatSponge Boiler Economizers
"Saving The World From High Fuel Costs"

Natural gas will never be inexpensive again making a boiler economizer more important than ever. HeatSponge offers products for boilers ranging from 50 HP to 150,000 pph. Improving boiler efficiency results in reduced pollution levels. Check how much money you can save by visiting our website. Click Here For On-Line Performance and Pricing.

Intermittant Fault -- Boiler won't fire

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Boilerroom.com Steam-Forum - Number 3 ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ridge Kennedy on January 17, 2004 at 11:56:22:

Dear All,

Last Saturday we had a heat failure at our home. Specifics: Utica boiler about 12 years old with spark ignition system.

Symptoms: After turning system power off, when I turned it back on the piolot light would go on for a while, but boiler would not fire up. After a while, pilot would shut off and the ignition system would settle into a sequence of clicks and spaking, but no heat.

After troubleshooting, our plumber (very nice guy) isolated the mercury sensor switch as the problem. We replaced the original Utica (white-Rogers) unit with a new Weil-McLean(sp?) unit.

Boiler fired up (inside temp had gotten down to 45). Great.

Yesterday, I woke up and the house was cold. when to the boiler at it was doing the same thing (symptoms above). No heat. I checked everthing, pulled and reseated the mercsensor switch, no go. I called the plumber and he said he'd stop by.

I shut off power to unit rather than leave it sparking.

When our plumber came, he turned on power and the system fired right up.

Now I'm relly worried. Seems like I could lose heat any time and I'm not really sure what the problem is.

I would appreciate and thoughts about any components "upstream" from the sensor switch that might cause it to fail. Other things to check?

If I wanted to replace the whole ignition system, is there a way to do this cost-efficiently.

Thnak you for your time and consideration.

Ridge (West Orange, NJ) (Exit 145)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Boilerroom.com Steam-Forum - Number 3 ] [ FAQ ]