[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Posted by jtown on March 30, 2004 at 07:06:50:
In Reply to: Pungent Smell posted by Betty on March 29, 2004 at 09:42:30:
The chimney may be in use only 10 min/hr. In cold weather you might be able to go out and see if it is running from the chimney top, or seeing if their gas meter is spinning faster. If you can smell the exhaust, odds are better that they burn oil. You could ask the other buildings owner to have their heating technician to look up the chimney with a mirror if they can't themselves. A chimney should be under negative draft usually, so leakage should be inward most of the time. A bird or squirrels nest may have partially blocked it to cause positive pressure to leak out of cracks. It could be sewer gas from a leaking joint in a wall if there is any plumbing fixtures along a side of any of the four walls. Dead mouse in a wall, spillage in a floor, etc should go away in a couple of weeks.
Post a Followup